Monday, September 5, 2011

Binghamton Bridge Half Marathon Race Report

May 15, 2011 -- Okay, to be fair, today's date is September 5, 2011, and this race was now almost 4 months ago...but I will do my best to remember as if it were yesterday.

This was the race that I signed me and Amy up for as her birthday present.  Looking back it was probably more of a gift for me because it inspired me to get into running and racing, but I think she enjoyed it too!  Amy and I arrived in Binghamton Saturday morning.  We left Long Island at 5:15 am, so I could get a quick round of golf in on Saturday (Amy was not pleased).  We decided to stay at my old apartment with my friend Jackie, in my old room.  It was nice to have a free place to stay, but in the future we think we might just opt for a hotel room anyway to make it feel like more of a mini vacation.  We ate a nice pasta and chicken dinner at our friend Matt's Apartment, and went back to Jackie's to get into bed early.

After a mostly sleepless night, 6:00 came around and the alarm sounded.  Amy and I got ourselves out of bed, headed to dunkin donuts...split a toasted bagel lightly buttered and made our way to the start line.  It was a chilly and rainy day, but still almost 900 people showed up to run the half.  At 7:15, we began to do some stretching, and were hit with the realization that we were severely under prepared for this race.  Now realizing we might be in for a long day, we waited for 7:30 and the gun to go off.

Our first mile went by smoothly, but the other 12.1 miles were not so easy.  I think we made it to around the 2 mile mark before we started walking.  I was definitely expecting to be able to run the entire 13.1 without stopping, but I had thought I would have gotten through about 5 or 6.  I can't say I was disappointed with the race (can't really say I was thrilled either), but without a doubt I would like to be more prepared for my future races.  Amy and I finsihed 874th and 875th respectively with times of 3:15:58 and 3:15:59.

Watch out Binghamton Bridge Run, I will be back, and redemption will be sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment