Thursday, October 20, 2011

23 By Twenty-Four Update 10/20

October 20, 2011 --

Things have been going great!  I hopped on the scale this morning and saw all 2s.  As of this morning, I weigh 222.2 lbs! 

Right now I am two pounds away from a total weight loss of fifty pounds, and am only just over 12 pounds from my goal weight.  It is a good feeling to have come so far and be so close to my goal...but I know there is still work to be done, and can't start slacking off.  

I figured now would be a good time to let you all in on what has been working for me as far as shedding the pounds goes.  By no means do I consider myself an expert in weight loss or nutrition, but this is what has worked for me.  I encourage anyone who is interested in losing weight and getting more fit to try out several different approaches and find what works best for them.

First of all, I completely stopped drinking soda and increased my water intake tremendously.  Soda has approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar in a twelve ounce can and a ton of sodium which causes you to retain water.  Secondly, I initially switched to 100 calorie packs of different snack foods for desserts, and now I have completely eliminated dessert from my life (except one night on the weekend).  Finally, I restricted myself to eating only at meal times.  If I am hungry between meals, I drink a glass of water, and wait twenty minutes to see if I am still hungry and then eat some type of fruit if I am.

I would say that the biggest thing I have done aside from the other things I mentioned is portion control.  I have always felt that I needed to eat everything on my plate.  I have only now come to realize that I don't need to eat everything put in front of me.  

I think this alone has helped me to lose weight.  But, coupled with the amount of exercise and training I have been doing has led to the pounds just melting off.  Again, what I hope people take from this post is that anyone can take that first step toward being healthier, you just need to get off the couch, lace up your shoes, and go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment